Warrior Dash – A chance for evangelism?

Posted: 2011 04 16 by Paul S in Biblical manhood

Today, I am going to run in the Warrior Dash. It’s a 3.2 mile adventure run that is punctuated by climbing over cargo nets, jumping cars, and crawling through mud. Here’s a picture of me jumping through the fire at November’s dash in Austin.

And another as I dive into the mud pit

What I hope for most in these races is that I will have the chance to share a little of Jesus’ message with even one of the people running with me. Amongst the costumes, the beer and the rock and roll, will I find a way to spread the news? Pray for me.

Until the Whole World Knows,

Paul

Comments
  1. Paul S says:

Finished a minute faster than in November. Had a great time! Did a little evangelism of my brother-in-law. Hope to find more opportunities in the future.

2. Jim F. says:

Man that sounds awesome – glad you got share Christ!

3. jelillie says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to hear more!

4. Paul S says:

To be honest, there’s not a lot more to share about this one and evangelism. I’m just trying to find a way to present the Gospel to this audience. If anyone has any ideas, I’d love to hear them.

5. Ken Peterson says:

Paul,
    I was thinking the same thought when I saw the Warrior Dash came to Wisconsin. I am putting together a few freinds from my church and seeing if we can make a T-Shirt with a good bible verse on it to break the ice. Here are a couple I was thinking:

Joel 2:7
    They charge like warriors;
    they scale walls like soldiers.
    They all march in line,
    not swerving from their course.

Zechariah 10:5
    Together they will be like warriors in battle
    trampling their enemy into the mud of the streets.
    They will fight because the LORD is with them,
    and they will put the enemy horsemen to shame.

Ephesians 6:14-17
    14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Thanks for the encouragement, that I am not the only one to think this could be a GREAT evangelistic outreach.

In Him,
    Ken Peterson

• Paul S says:

I encourage you to go for it. I love the verse from Joel! One thing to think about, instead of including where it came from, just put somthing like this:

They charge like warriors;
      they scale walls like soldiers.
      They all march in line,
      not swerving from their course.
      ~Joel

Might get some conversations started with non-believers. I’ve realized that when we declare that we are Christians to the unbelieving world, we are often lumped into the “bible beater” or “cook” headings. If we simply use quotes that show wisdom, show our strength and compassion, and reach out in caring; then sometimes we will get an opportunity to make an impact with people who would run away from anything associated with the Church. It takes a special kind of witness to do this, but it might be something that appeals to you, and I know it would likely make more headway in the Warrior Dash crowd. Let me know how it goes. I’m running my third one in late April!

~Paul

• scendonp says:

So do you think it would be too forward to include a graphic on the back of the T-Shirt right above the quote that says Warriors of God in bold text? I’m not all about ambush evangelism, I want people to know what I am about and what to expect if they start a conversation with me. It might scare some people away, but it’s God’s timing, timing? If someone is there that God wants to reach he will work in their hearts and the conversation will take place regardless what my shirt says.

• Paul S says:

I don’t feel that it is ambush evangelism, as you are not doing the approaching or initializing the conversation. As I said, it is just a thought. When I hear ambush evangelism, I think of the guys who shove tracts down people’s throats, or just walk up to the random person and start telling them they are going to hell. My recommendation is to use something to attract questions, and then capitalize on that to share.

The majority of the people involved in the Warrior Dash and similar events are of the culture of athiesm which has grasped this nation. If you advertise that you are Christian, then you will be avoided by most. I’m not saying not to put “Warriors of God” or scripture (or a cross) on your shirt, I’m just trying to set expectations so that you know what to expect.

Remember, most of this crowd will be Millineals. Most will be agnostic or athiest. Most are the crowd who have bought into everything that the media and liberal education system has taught them about life. They believe the lies about sex. They want to be significant, and Christians in our culture seem to have given up significance in exchange for the soft and sensitive image. I don’t advertise my faith in this setting, though I do things to get conversations started and then share my faith. I don’t advertise because, while I’m not the slowest, I’m also not one of the fastest. I show significance in how I run the race, and that earns me conversation.

Remember, these are just my thoughts. I would love to know how it turns out for you, however you approach it. And I do agree, the conversations will take place either way, I’m just a fan of going to the culture instead of wanting it to come to me(I go to the culture, but I don’t adopt it).

~Paul

• scendonp says:

Paul,

Thanks for your recommendations and it gives me something to think about before deciding how I will approach the event (I have until August 2012). I completely agree with you about going to the culture instead of waiting for the culture to come to me. I can’t take a passive stance when someone’s eternity is at stake.

I will definitely keep you posted on how things go for me after the race

• Paul S says:

I’m looking forward to hearing!
        ~Paul